Beyond the Wardwall
The Campaign Setting - House Rules etc
Inspiration and Ideas for the setting
Beyond the Wardwall is inspired by the fantastic West Marches campaign idea I found on the RPG blog Ars Ludi right here. I wanted to get back into the swing of running an RPG again, because it’s been a few years since I’ve been in the GM’s seat.
This campaign is going to be run in a collaberative world building style that a lot of our group is really looking forward to. The format of this style of game allowed us to get straight to playing without being bogged down creating a grand setting from scratch beforehand or having to read/research an established setting.
Additional rules, modifications and House rules used
- Stats are generated using the “Heroic” system in the Pathfinder core (2D6+6) asign the 6 numbers to the attributes as you wish. The entire stat block may be re-rolled once, but you must keep the second lot of numbers even if they are worse.
- Beginning wealth, you may make the roll or take the average, choose before any roll is made and stick to the decision.
- Each PC will be able to use the Hero Points system (see Advanced Player’s Guide)
- Each PC may select 2 Traits (must be GM approved) (see Advanced Player’s Guide)
Miniatures and Playmats
- We are not using the standard 1" gridded or hex battlemats for combat encounters.
- Where possible encounters may be played through in narrative.
- When miniatures are employed we are playing upon modelled boards and terrain to add more interest to gameplay and immersion interacting with the 3D elements.
- Rules modifications due to playing with no grids
- 5’ in game = 1" on the tabletop, most medium sized creatures therefore with 5’ reach will be in combat when stood within 1" of an enemy, conversly that also means that enemies threaten a 1" area around themselves. Creatures with an extended reach follow the same rules as above, 10’ reach = within 2" and so on.
- Templates will be constructed where needed (Spells, Blasts etc)
- Problems will inevitably arise whilst playing this way, solutions will be discussed and when agreed upon added to this list.